Are you feeling the warm Hawaiian weather lately? Ok, we always have warm weather in Hawaii but the days are getting hotter, not just longer. The southern swells are hitting the islands, surfers are out at play and it’s a great time for the annual springtime home maintenance checkup.
If you’re a homeowner in Hawaii, then you want to take care of your investment. That means taking a day or two here and there to keep your home running a tip-top shape. You give your care a tune-up, right? Your home deserves one as well. Here are some great tasks to take care of before you start having your summer fun:
Top 5 Springtime Home Maintenance Check-Up Tasks
1. Walk around the perimeter of your house. Check for settling or cracks in the foundation. If frequent rains are an issue, you may need to ensure they are diverted elsewhere. Along these lines, check the condition of your rain gutters and make sure they are diverting any rain away from the foundation.
2. This is a great time to check on the condition of your roof. Is it sagging anywhere? Are there cracks? It may be time to replace the roof or to put on an elastomeric coating.
3. If you have air conditioning, check your home for any ‘leaks’. Analyze all doors and windows and make sure they’re still in top shape, including the caulking. See if your AC filter needs cleaning as well. Indoor air pollution is a frequently overlooked issue, so be sure your family is breathing clean air! If need be, have your AC system serviced by a professional.
4. Trim back any trees that are hanging over your roof. The most common culprit here are mango trees. I love a good mango salad as much as the next guy, but you don’t want mangoes waking you up before your alarm clock as they fall and bang on your roof (see #2 above). Also remember that you’re responsible for any trees encroaching over your neighbor’s property.
5. While checking in fifth on this list, safety is always #1. Check your smoke alarms and replace any old batteries. This will take all of 5 minutes but could save the life of your entire family.
Of course, this is far from a complete task. There are plenty of other items you could add to this list, but these should get you ready for the Hawaiian summer without worrying too much about your home.
You can also check out this handy tool from Allstate.